Thanks for stopping by to visit RosiesWish.org. Learn more about our Community Development Company by exploring our pages and galleries. We have frequent events that may interest you or you may subscribe to receive emails from us on our sidebar.
Take care of your diabetes to live a long and healthy life and do all the things your friends do.
Make healthy food choices
- Choose fruits and vegetables, whole grain breads, low-fat meats, low-fat or skim milk and cheese, whole grain or brown rice, and beans. Eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and one or two snacks.
- Try to eat at the same time each day.
- Baked, broiled, or grilled choices are best – remove skin and all the fat you see.
- Use small amounts of oil and low-fat margarine, salad dressing, and mayo.
- Avoid butter, fatty meats (like bacon and hot dogs), and fried foods.
- Choose snacks wisely. Try fresh fruit, or one slice low-fat cheese and 5-6 crackers.
- Play basketball or soccer, ride a bike, or go for a brisk walk.
- Be active for 60 minutes every day. You can break it up into 20 minutes, three times a day.
- Keep TV and computer time to less than two hours each day.
Be at a healthy weight
- Eat small servings of food and be active. This can help with your blood glucose control and prevent weight gain.
- Ask your doctor what a healthy weight is for you.
Take your medicine
- Teens with type 1 need insulin. Teens with type 2 diabetes may need to take insulin or pills.
- Make sure to take your medicine as instructed every day.
Check your blood glucose
- Learn how to check your blood glucose at home with a meter. Your doctor will teach you how and tell you what your blood glucose should be.